Microsoft Office 365E is a powerful business enterprise tool for connecting employees. It brings together all the tools of Microsoft Office with enterprise mobility to connect users and added network security. Office 365 allows businesses to move seamlessly to the cloud and provides cloud-based software as a service capability. As a system administrator using Windows 10, proficiency with Office 365 is a must. Almost any business, regardless of field, will need the cloud to connect its employees.
One of the many tools Office 365 provides is the Microsoft SharePoint. SharePoint is a cloud-based service that enhances collaboration between Office 365 users. SharePoint functions as an intranet for sharing content, such as documents and files. SharePoint is highly-customizable, giving administrators many options for controlling what sites are available to what users. Some of the benefits of using SharePoint sites include:
- Improved file management.
- Customized social networks between employees.
- Robust security and permission controls.
- Easy to ease with little learning curve for employees.
Learning to use the SharePoint admin center will make you a more efficient and effective systems administrator. This hands-on lab will teach you how to get started with SharePoint.
Understand the scenario: You are a SharePoint Online administrator. You need to create a site collection and adjust permissions to allow certain users to access its content.
Understand the environment: This challenge has prerequisites and is part of the Microsoft 365: Identity and Services Challenge Series. In this challenge, you will use an Office 365 E5 tenant that you created in the “Provision an Office 365 R5 Trial Subscription” setup lab. You will need the credentials and the tenant domain you created in that lab for this challenge.
Create and configure site permission:
The first step in this virtual lab is to create a site in Microsoft SharePoint. You will:
- Log in to Office 365 and open the SharePoint admin center.
- Create a new active site.
- Associate the new site with the hub site.
Manage site permissions:
In this step, you will manage which users can access the new site. You will:
- Add a new admin to your site.
- Add a new user that can edit the site.
- Add a new user that can read the site.
Office 365 is becoming a vital tool for businesses to keep their employees connected 24/7 and stay competitive in an environment of remote workers and shared data. As a modern systems administrator working in Windows 10, you will have to be comfortable managing Office 365 accounts. One of the most important jobs you will have as a system administrator is creating, maintaining, and administrating SharePoint sites. Properly deployed, SharePoint will make collaboration between employees simple and straightforward.
This virtual lab will give you real-world experience configuring Microsoft SharePoint sites. The skills you learn in this lab will enhance your capabilities as a system administrator for Office 365 accounts.
In the “Configure SharePoint Online” virtual lab, you will accomplish the following:
- Create a new SharePoint site.
- Add users to the new site.
- Manage user permission for the site.
Other Challenges in this series:
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Use a Custom Domain
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Manage Users and Groups
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Manage Users and Groups by Using Windows PowerShell
- ADVANCED CHALLENGE: Can You Manage Multiple Users?
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Assign Admin Roles
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Manage Passwords
- ADVANCED CHALLENGE: Can You Restore Users and Configure Password Policies?
- GUIDED CHALLENGE: Configure Exchange Online
- ADVANCED CHALLENGE: Can You Configure Rights Management?
- EXPERT CHALLENGE: Can You Manage Office 365?